On Oct. 1, your Web site's statistics service will be moved to an outside provider. All future statistics services will be provided by WebTrends' on-demand, Web-based statistics solution.
Once in your new statistics profile, you will notice a variety of features and benefits. These include:
- More accurate reporting,
- Daily data collection and reporting,
- Customizable reporting periods (by day, week, month, quarter, etc.),
- A comparative report mode that allows a comparison of statistics for two time periods side by side, and
- Additional graphical representation of statistics data.
You may also notice some discrepancies with the old system. These include:
- Variances in page views, visits, and visitors, and
- Differences in PDF tracking because of more accurate data collection.
The new statistics service provides data with variances from the old service. These are a result of more accurate reporting in the new system. The new system excludes 525 automated spiders, crawlers, and bots from the traffic reports of site visits and visitors. The old system excluded only 25. The new service also accounts for cached site visits, a feature the old service did not provide. In addition, PDFs are tracked using a different method. The old system counted each page of a PDF, which inflated reporting results; the new system counts each PDF file only once.
Archived statistics will still be available from the previous NREL service. A link to your archived statistics data is available through the link above.
Please take time to familiarize yourself with the new service's features and operations. If you have questions or concerns, please contact Amy Vaughn.
To learn more about the new statistics service, please visit WebTrends.